About Me

My Photo
Steven
I'm from the foothills of the North Georgia mountains. I was a woodworker for about 12 years. Well, up until I had the rug pulled out from under my feet, and I was laid off. I got back into photography in 2008 and decided to give that a try professionally, but haven't made any money so far because rednecks, white trash, and hicks are cheap. So, I'm working in a local grocery store where some days I hear and see the craziest stuff. I tend to complain a lot about things, but I'm too poor to afford a good therapist. So, I decided to make a blog and complain online to all of you instead. But I digress. I really just wanted to do the blog to share ideas and stories with the interwebz. =D
View my complete profile

Friday, December 10, 2010

Just When You Think You've Seen It All...


Night photography is what drew me back into the idea of getting an SLR camera and shooting. I saw people on Flickr doing it, and I thought I would like to try my hand at it. When I got my camera though, it wasn't as easy as the people on Flickr made it out to be. It took me a while to figure out the ins and outs of it. Little did I know that I had only touched the very tip of the iceberg.



Star rings were something that I had always wanted to try. Honestly, it's one of the most frustrating things you can do with a camera. Aiming, focusing, getting the camera to stay on and shooting for long periods, frost, clouds, headlights and other light sources, are all huge factors in whether or not you make the final photograph. One bump or missed frame can lead to gaps in the rings like in my photo below. Add all that in with having to be up most of the night when you're most likely to dose or lose focus, and it makes it even more of a challenge. The reward is a very interesting photograph though, and I'd say it's worth it in the end.


Tme lapse is something I've never really dabbled in. Sure, we've all seen videos made with tilt shift lenses where everything looks minature. "Operation Toyland" by Austrian photographer, Clemens Wirth is one of my favorites. One of the reasons I've never done any time lapse is that it requires video. And I hardly know anything about editing or making videos. (I barely know how to run my still camera!)

Then I stumbled across this and I was absolutely blown away:


Have a great weekend.

--

0 comments:

Post a Comment